2015 Haunted Houses
Here are all the haunted houses we have heard about, so far. The descriptions initially come from the haunt operators (or their websites), but as we go through the attractions, we will try to revise them to reflect what they actually consist of. “The worst of humanity” doesn't give much information -- chainsaw killers? politicians? We will try to keep spoilers to a minimum. Events that have been specifically tagged as "Family Friendly" will not appear in this listing.
When visiting these haunts, please tell them you saw their listing on DMHauntedHouses.com.
Last Updated: 08/18/2016 11:48 AM
- Zombie Hollow (Home Haunt)
- 3109 Pine Circle, Urbandale IA 50322
- Located between Douglas and Hickman, just east of 86th Street in Urbandale, Iowa. (At a home in a residential area.)
- WEATHER PERMITTING! Check their Facebook page. 3 NIGHTS: Oct 28-30, 2016. 7pm-10pm Sat and Sun, 7pm-9pm Halloween.
- Fri-28, Sat-29, Sun-30
- Short Desc
- Elaborate walk-thru home display.
- Long Desc
- Haunted Mansion + Pirates of the Caribbean + Zombies = Zombie Hollow. A must-see! In past years, this has been the most amazing home display in the area. It features animated characters, surround sound, lighting and fog effects and the most immersive environment outside of a Disney/Universal Studios theme park. Last year it featured ghosts from Scooby Doo, and other years have featured Harry Potter and even Duck Dynasty zombies!
- Explore at your own pace.
- Yard Display
We believe in cross promotion, so here are other family-friendly Halloween indexes we have found. DMHH is not responsible for the accuracy of information on these sites, but we will at least try to point out major omissions if we notice them. (Visitors beware: the national sites often list defunct attractions or have incorrect information. Always verify a haunt actually exists before driving out.)
List updated on 10/1/2015:
Local (?) Sites:
- spookydesmoines.com - updated for 2015, but some entries had incorrect dates.
- Des Moines Parent - a good listing (using information provided by DMHH).
- Catch Des Moines - a listing of just the Des Moines haunts (information provided by DMHH).
- Eat, Play, Love Des Moines - a blog post that goes in to more detail on the various haunts (guest blog by DMHH).
- www.findahaunt.com - a great national site ran by Haunted House legend Leonard Pickel.
- www.funtober.com - national site with a page for Iowa and one for the Des Moines area. Unfortunately, it only lists one active haunted house (Haunted Barn) and another that hasn't operated for two years (Slaughterhouse).
- www.hauntworld.com - they do not have a Des Moines category, but do have Madrid (Tormented Souls from last year).
- www.iowahauntedhouses.com - national site with domain names registered for different states so they look regional. So far, they only one they have updated this year is Sleepy Hollow (but it's last year's descriptions with the old attractions).